bicycling on the Puget Sound

bicycling on the Puget Sound
old railroad converted to a trail

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Slow Cooker Yogurt-phase 1

8 c. 1% milk
3/4 c. powdered milk
3/4 c. Mountain High Yogurt, Plain

Directions:
1. Pour milk and powdered milk into crock pot, whisk together.
2. Cook on Low temperature for 2 1/2 hours.  Unplug.
3. Let sit for 3 hours.
4. Whisk in yogurt for starter.
5. Incubate in an insulated grocery bag, cooler or wrap with towels or blankets until morning.
6. Line wire mesh strainer or colander with coffee filter and strain yogurt to desired thickness.


I usually start this at around 1:00 pm.  I have used instant and non-instant powdered milk and like the non-instant best.  It really made a thicker, creamier yogurt.  I prefer Mountain High, it has made the best consistency for me, it has 5 live active cultures vs the 4 that Nancy's has.  It was ok, but the texture with Mountain High was better.  If you put the yogurt starter in too soon...the milk is too hot yet and really makes a tangier yogurt.  Not sure if it kills the culture or not but I liked it MUCH better waiting the full 3 hours after cooking.  I strain mine to make the "Greek style" yogurt.   You can save a bit of your own homemade yogurt for the starter for your next few batches but eventually I get a fresh start.  I did try one attempt of adding Vanilla and Truvia to a batch and it didn't set well so I will probably just continue to add those per serving.  Let me know how it works for you and if you try any different variations.

2 comments:

  1. I was totally impressed with this process, as I made it the hardway when we were all younger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I luv to take this yogurt, add some frozen costco cherries, a couple of drops of almond extract, 1/2 tsp of cocoa and a package of Truvia for dessert. Pretty darn good.

    ReplyDelete