bicycling on the Puget Sound

bicycling on the Puget Sound
old railroad converted to a trail

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Cauliflower Flat Bread or Pizza Crust-phase 1

4 c. Cauliflower, riced (see step one)
1 c. Egg whites
1 c. Nutritional Yeast
2 1/2 c. low fat Mozzerella Cheese, grated
1/2 c. Parmesan Cheese, grated
1/2 Tbsp granulated Garlic
1 tsp. Italian Herb Seasoning
dash or two of basil

Directions:
1. Grate Cauliflower in a food processor or by hand.  This creates the "rice".
2. Mix all ingredients together.
3. I use a Sil-Pat sprayed with Pam, you can use parchment paper as well.  Press into flat rectangles for flat "bread" or into a circle for pizza.  About 1/2c. of mix for bread and 1c. for pizza.
4. Bake at 425° for 20 min.  Pick them up and turn them over and bake for another 10-15 min.  You may have to adjust your heat for how brown you like it or altitudes etc.
5. For pizza add your toppings and put back in oven, you can broil them to brown cheese or bake to just melt cheese.

I got this recipe from a lady who is online doing this diet.  I have tweaked it a little bit for my own personal tastes, but its basically the idea that came from her.  Mom and I make our Turkey Burgers, Hamburgers, Deli sliced meat sandwiches etc on this bread more than we ever use it for pizza.  It is loaded with fiber and nutrition and really not super high in fat.  I would use a Fat-Free Mozzarella if i could find it...but we don't seem to carry it here.  I found the Nutritional Yeast at our health food store and also at Fred Myer in the health food or bulk section.  I love the "riced" cauliflower and have used that in place of rice in a fried "rice" dish as well and it was fabulous...again, from this lady, who I cannot seem to get back to her site...can't remember where it was...

2 comments:

  1. Luv ur background. Can't read ur headings nor the small print. I'm so glad u're sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. K, I have to say this bread makes the best meat sandwiches. Also add apple ring slices, provides the moister that dressings did and even better a really nice crunch.

    ReplyDelete