bicycling on the Puget Sound

bicycling on the Puget Sound
old railroad converted to a trail

Sunday, March 18, 2012

DF Irish Soda Bread



I love Irish Soda Bread and figured it would be just as good doing a Dairy Free version.  We loved it!  I did not use raisins this time.  I prefer raisins but I wasn't sure how the family would react to them.  I will try them next time.  I would love to start using some Whole Wheat Flour but I can be such a chicken.  Sometimes some things just HAVE to be made with White Flour.  This is a very easy recipe and I loved the texture of this bread!  It was a great addition to our St. Patricks day Irish dinner.

Ingredients:
4 c. Flour
1/4 c. White sugar
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 c. Margarine, softened
1 c.  DF Buttermilk (1 c. Rice or Almond milk with 1 Tbsp. Vinegar (I used cider))
1 Egg, scrambled
2 Tbsp. Margarine, melted
2 Tbsp. DF Buttermilk

Directions:
1. In mixer mix together Flour, Sugar, Baking Soda and powder, and salt.
2. Add Margarine and mix until margarine is well incorporated...like you would pie dough or pastry...until it gets a cornmeal like texture or you no longer have chunks of margarine.
3. Add the 1 c. DF buttermilk and egg.  Mix until all together into a dough.
4. On lightly floured surface, knead dough 5 times.  Roll into a ball and put on a lightly greased cookie sheet or baking pan.  Cut an X into the top about 1/4 in (ish) down.
5. Melt the 2 Tbsp. margarine and mix with 2 Tbsp buttermilk.  Brush top of the bread with mix.  (I re-brushed the bread about every 10 min until bread was finished.)  Bake at 375° for 45-50 min. or until butter knife comes out clean.  Serve hot with jam and butter...mmmmmm....



No comments:

Post a Comment